A short course aimed at teaching professionals which will help you make the most out of your school’s outdoor learning space. The course is not aimed at a particular key stage and aims to offer content applicable to all learning settings. The course is split in to three sections:
- Possibilities in your school site – participants will be asked to bring a google maps satellite print out and photographs of their school site and we will discuss opportunities for creating or improving habitats on your school site. Concludes with habitat studies at High Elms Country Park.
- Opportunities for learning – we will look at opportunities for outdoor learning within the curriculum; share lesson and activity ideas and discuss lesson plans provided by Bromley Environmental Education.
- Maintaining outdoor learning – we will discuss risk assessments and maintaining features such as ponds, meadows, school gardens and woodland safely and for biodiversity.
Date and Time
The course will run on Friday 10th December 10am to 4pm.
Directions and Parking
This event takes place in High Elms Country Park. The main car park is located on High Elms Road (near Shire Lane). You can follow the Brown Highway signs for High Elms Country Park.
If the main car park is full then exit the car park and turn left go down High Elms Road a further 200 metres and turn into the Golf Course Car Park, it is fine to park in this car park. Exit Golf Course Car Park through the barrier gate at the bottom of car park then follow path straight ahead, go past pond and you will find yourself on front lawns go straight across and you will find yourself by main car park.
To get to BEECHE from main car park follow the path all the way up the slope , rather than turn left for the Green Roof Café turn right and go around the back of the building where you will see the board walk.
Blue badge parking is available in front of the BEECHE building. To access this please access the park using the entrance off Shire Lane which is marked for deliveries and staff. At the cross roads turn left up the slope and you will see the BEECHE building at the top of the slope. Please be aware this entrance and car park is only for Blue Badge holders.
What to bring
- Suitable outdoor clothing and shoes (we will be walking in High Elms Country Park
- A print out of your school site viewed on google maps’ satellite mode
- Photos of any existing wildlife areas/habitats you use at your site or areas you would like to develop